Botley Hill, Surrey
DURATION ON SITE
Construction / New Build
In a journey which took four years to realise MMA and latterly Sutcliffe, Mercury and Aztec have built a spectacular wedding barn at the highest point on the North Downs in an area of outstanding natural beauty, natural heritage conservation and high landscape value.
The concept was to design and deliver a scheme appropriate to the rural, historic and landscape value of the site and take advantage of the magnificent views down the valley from the glazed gables on the southern aspect.
In line with stringent planning conditions MMA conceived and designed a traditional looking Surrey barn, which historically would be clad in black timber, hence the use of Siberian Larch as the cladding material. At this point traditional building handed over to modern techniques. Aztec were appointed on this D&B project and novated MMA to provide the detailed design development. A new steel frame forming the structure to the main barn and “baby barn” was erected. The roof was clad in composite metal sheet and the walls constructed in SFS, clad externally in Larch and internally wall and ceiling surfaces were clad in reclaimed natural pines, with a large format Italian tiles floor. Some of the challenges we faced included:
- To satisfy planners on a very sensitive site
- Building adjacent and in very close proximity to a working farm and country pub with a very busy kitchen
- Achieving a demanding SBEM design due to the area of glazing. The building is super insulated for thermal performance and the roof has high acoustic treatment
- Providing a heating solution that would enhance the agricultural look whilst not taking up, wall space
- As the site is off grid, providing tanked gas, boosted cold water and installing a state-of-the-art sewage treatment plant to serve the venue, pub and surrounding outbuildings
Works commenced at the end of October in 2018 with an eight-month delivery period which was not ideal but necessary due to the wedding interest the following summer.
The finished project is a triumph and we believe our Client has a unique venue that will last the test of time. The newly erected barns are crisp and distinctive and sit proud at the top of the valley placed perfectly in the landscape in the heart of the Titsey Estate.
Botley Hill Hospitality Wedding Venue is a project that Aztec are delighted to have had the opportunity to build and are exceedingly satisfied with the result.
An Aztec team spent eight months on site and the recurring feedback we have received is how proud the workforce is of the project and how cold it is “Down South “ in the winter.